How should you clean up your carpet?
The most important thing in a spot & stain removal is:
- Act quickly, before it becomes a permanent stain!
- Once a week will do. (More often in heavy traffic areas.) This is an effective way to remove dirt before it becomes embedded in the pile of the carpet.
Tip: For best results, empty your vacuum bag when half full.
- Place absorbent mats at entrances to your home. Change or wash when these mats become dirty.
- Regularly change filters in your heating and air conditioning system.
- Clean traffic lanes and areas in front of chairs periodically with a suitable cleaning agent.
- Do not apply stain repellent treatments that contain any silicone, because they tend to accelerate carpet soiling.
Spot & stain removal
- Blot up liquids with paper towel or absorbent cloth. Scoop up solids with the end of a knife or spoon.
- Treat the spot with a spot removal agent which, is suitable for wool (when a wool carpet), is pH neutral, is explicitly recommended for cleaning carpets and rugs and leaves no sticky residue
- Always follow the manufacturer’s directions when using commercial products.
- Use a light, colourfast cotton cloth for the treatment of spots.
- Always work from the outer edge towards the centre to prevent spreading. Use only small quantities of spot removal agent. It’s a good idea to replace the cotton cloth as soon as it’s soiled.
- Carefully rinse the area with clean water and a sponge after having cleaned it. Do not soak the carpet pile. Afterwards, blot as dry as possible with a clean towel, or with a hairdryer.
- Do not use household cleaners such as soft soap, neutral soap, ammonia solution, turpentine, benzine or spot removal agents which are only recommended for textiles when you have a woolcarpet.
For More on rug maintenance and dealing with specific Stains: CLICK HERE